Are you tired of the umbrella you bought for your patio constantly flying off? Cheap umbrellas usually don’t cut it when it comes to use in patios. With the slightest bit of extra wind, they end up flying away. If you want something more stable and more stylish to go along with your outdoor furniture then you should opt for a cantilever umbrella. These not only add glamour to your patio decor but also are very stable and don’t fly off, thanks to the extra support from the base. When it comes to buying a cantilever umbrella, you should consider the following:
- Size of the umbrella: you should have a rough idea of the area size you want the umbrella to cover and buy one accordingly. As well as size, you want to also get a shape of a canopy that works well in your area. Some go with the generic round canopy while others like to get a square cantilever umbrella because it offers more shade.
- Material: When looking at the different cantilever umbrella's you want to look at to see what material the canopy is made out of. This is important because if the canopy is made out of cheap material, it will not hold up in some types of weather.
- Pole diameter: the taller you want the umbrella, the thicker it should be so it can easily hold its ground.
- Base of the umbrella: You need to make sure the base is heavy enough to hold the umbrella in place. Otherwise with heavy winds, you will have your umbrella flying around. Often times, people like to get a base where you can add substance like water or clay to it. This will allow the base to be heavier and ensure the umbrella will stay upright in harsher winds or storms.
- Cost: you should have a rough idea of how much you are willing to spend. Do keep in mind that the bigger umbrella you want, the more it will cost.
There are many great sites out there that can help you find umbrellas for all different needs wether it be a travel umbrella or an umbrella for home. To help you out in your search for the best cantilever umbrella for your patio, we have taken the liberty of testing out numerous cantilever umbrellas and have picked the top 5 that we think you should consider buying.
Abba Patio 11-Feet Offset Cantilever Umbrella
Abba Patio 10-Feet Offset Cantilever Umbrella
Destination Summer Outdoor Patio Cantilever Umbrella
Sundale 10ft Outdoor Cantilever Umbrella
Sundale Outdoor 10 Feet Aluminum Offset Patio Umbrella
COBANA 10 Feet Cantilever Freestanding Patio Umbrella
6 Best Cantilever Umbrellas
- 10 feet umbrella coverage which is great for shade
- Steel base ensures the umbrella stays grounded
- 1.8 inch pole diameter which provides exceptional support for the umbrella
- The umbrella comes in just 2 colors: brown and red
If you want a cantilever umbrella that provides exceptional shade coverage and is built to last, than the Cobana 10 ft. cantilever umbrella is perfect for you. The umbrella provides a shade of up to 10 feet so you can easily situate a table with four chairs under it. Not only that, the polyester material of the umbrella ensures no water seeps through and when you are in it's shade, you get full protection from UV rays from the sun. The pole which has a 1.8 inch diameter is well constructed with powder coated aluminium and the base of the umbrella is made of steel. So you will have no worries of it flying off in case of heavy winds.
The cantilever umbrella is easy to operate as it comes with a crank. When not in use, you can easily fold the umbrella with the help of the crank and store it wherever you want. Overall, if you want a reliable umbrella that will protect you from UV rays on a sunny day which also allows air to freely pass through than the Cobana 10 feet cantilever umbrella is perfect for your patio.
- 10 feet umbrella coverage
- Umbrella comes in 11 different colors
- 100% polyester material which is waterproof
- Doesn’t come with a base, will have to purchase separately which adds to the price of a fairly low cost umbrella
The Sundale Outdoor 10 feet Aluminum Umbrella will be sure to add a little pizzaz to your patio. The polyester material used in the umbrella protects you from sun rays and is waterproof so you can even sit under it in the rain. It provides up to 10 feet of shade, so you can easily fit a conversational table or even a larger dining table under it. The umbrella will ensure that your patio is not just a patio.
The pole of the umbrella is aluminum with a nice antique bronze finish which adds some elegance to the umbrella. The only bad thing about the umbrella is that it comes with no base. Considering the low cost of the umbrella you can easily purchase a reliable stand base like the Sundale Outdoor Heavy Duty Plastic Water Sand Cantilever Umbrella Base Stand. Overall, the Sundale Outdoor 10 Feet umbrella is a wonderful piece of patio furniture which will exceed your expectations of a patio umbrella.
- 24 LED solar lights
- 306 degree umbrella rotation
- 11 feet umbrella coverage
- Material of the umbrella is superb
This beauty by Destination Summer could have easily been the best cantilever umbrella on our list, but due to its high cost we had to deduct some points. Functionality wise, it offers a lot more than any other umbrella we have on the list. It provides coverage of up to 11 feet in diameter which is 1 foot more than the two umbrellas above it. The one foot actually makes a lot of difference. The two features that have truly impressed us is the 360 degree rotation and the 24 LED solar lights the umbrella comes equipped with. The 360 degree rotation allows you to easily move furniture around and still be covered by the umbrella. While the LED lights provide extra lighting under the umbrella come night time, allowing your patio to be used to have dinner.
The fabric of the umbrella is of better quality also. It is pretty much resistant to fade along with weather so even after years of use, the umbrella will look pretty much new. Overall, if you have the budget then we highly recommend you go with this umbrella. The classic design and the additional functionalities are worth it.
- 10 feet coverage
- Low cost
- 250 gsm polyester material used in the umbrella
- Base was not that strong
- Comes in just two colors: ivory and red
If you have a limited budget and want to spice up your patio then the Abba Patio 10-feet umbrella is a fantastic choice. It provides coverage of up to 10 feet in diameter which is good. The umbrella is made of 250 gsm polyester fabric which is thick enough to protect you from bad sun rays. The umbrella has an air vented top so you don’t sweat profusely under it. The umbrella should last for about 2 years and give you about 1,000 hours under the sun.
The umbrella comes with a crank lever which we found stuck from time to time when we looked to either open or close the umbrella. With a little extra force, we were able to get the job done. One thing that really put us off though was the fact that it comes with a cross base which doesn’t provide too much support. We don’t really see the base keeping the umbrella grounded in heavy rainstorms. Fortunately, we didn’t encounter any when we tested it out. Overall, for its current price the Abba Patio 10-Feet Offset Umbrella is a good buy, but for just slightly more you can get the Cobana which is a much better option.
- 11 feet of coverage
- Polyester material provides great UV coverage
- Expensive, not enough additional functionality to justify the cost
Like the Destination Summer Outdoor Patio Cantilever Umbrella, the Abba Patio 11-Feet Offset Cantilever Umbrella is on the more higher costing umbrella’s available. However, unlike the Destination Summer Outdoor Patio Cantilever Umbrella, it doesn’t offer any additional functionality that would justify the additional cost. Yes, the Abba Patio 11 - Feet umbrella is a great piece of furniture that provides up to 11 feet of coverage under the sun. Nonetheless, the high cost is not justified by the offering of the umbrella.
Abba Patio uses polyester material for the umbrella which provides exceptional protection under the sun. It claims to provide 98% protection from UV. It employs an aluminum pole which is quite durable. The base however is another issue. You need to attach weights to the base to make sure the stand stays put. The weights do not come with the umbrella which means you need to spend more money. The company recommends you use a paving stone that total a weight of about 120 lbs. Overall, the Abba Patio is a nice and durable umbrella but if you are looking to spend some money on your umbrella than you are better off getting the Destination Summer Outdoor Patio Cantilever Umbrella.
- 10 feet of coverage
- Polyester material provides great UV coverage
- Ventilation system
- Easy crank mechanism for opening and closing
- 4 different colors
- The umbrella weights are not included
The Sundale 10ft cantilever umbrella is the last one to round out our best cantilever umbrella review. This cantilever umbrella comes with a thick aluminum pole that is very sturdy for harsher wind and rain conditions. The umbrella even has a venting system which allows for good airflow when you are under the umbrella. The polyester canopy on the umbrella offers sun-proof, UV blocking, water-repellent and anti-fade capability. For those that may have issues with traditional umbrellas, this one offers a crank system for easy opening and closing that is suitable for even the elderly and children.
That ends our list of the 6 best cantilever umbrellas of 2018. Hope we helped you select the perfect cantilever umbrella for your patio.