Are you tired of the umbrella you bought for your patio constantly flying off? Cheap patio umbrellas usually don’t cut it when it comes to using in patios. With the slightest gust of wind, they end up blowing over or disappearing into the neighbor’s garden. If you want something more stable without compromising style to match your other outdoor furniture, then you should opt for a cantilever umbrella. These not only add glamor to your patio’s décor but also are extremely stable and blow around, thanks to the extra support from the base. When it comes to buying a cantilever umbrella, you should consider the following:
- Size of the umbrella – You should have a rough idea of the area size you want the umbrella to cover and buy one accordingly. As well as size, you want to also get a shape of a canopy that works well in your area. Some go with the generic round canopy while others like to get a square cantilever umbrella because it offers more shade.
- Material – When looking at different cantilever umbrella’s, you need to know what material the canopy is made out of. This is vital because, if the canopy is made out of cheap material, it will not hold up in some types of weather.
- Pole diameter – The taller you want the umbrella, the thicker the pole should be so it can easily hold its ground.
- Base of the umbrella – You need to make sure the base is heavy enough to hold the umbrella in place. Otherwise, with heavy winds, your umbrella will end up being wobbly or take off like Mary Poppins in stronger winds. Often, people prefer a base where you can pour water or clay inside it. This ensures the base is heavy so that umbrella will stay upright in harsher winds.
- Cost – You should have a rough idea of how much you are willing to spend. Do keep in mind that the bigger umbrella you want, the more it will cost.
There are many great sites out there that can help you find patio umbrellas for all different needs, whether it be a travel umbrella or an umbrella for home. To help you out in your search for the best cantilever patio umbrella for your patio, we have taken the liberty of testing out numerous cantilever umbrellas and have picked the top 6 that we think are the best on the market for 2018.
6 Best Cantilever Umbrellas
- 10-foot umbrella coverage which is great for additional shade
- Steel base ensures the umbrella stays grounded
- 1.8-inch pole diameter provides exceptional support for the umbrella
- The umbrella comes in just 2 colors: brown and red
If you want a cantilever umbrella that provides exceptional shade coverage and is built to last, then the Cobana 10 ft. cantilever umbrella is a perfect choice. The umbrella provides a shade spanning 10 feet so you can easily situate a table with four chairs under it. Not only that, the polyester material of the umbrella ensures no water seeps through and when you are under its shade—and you get full protection from UV rays from the sun. The pole, which has a 1.8-inch diameter, is well constructed with powder-coated aluminum and the umbrella base is made of steel. So, you will have no worries of it flying off in case of heavy winds.
The cantilever patio umbrella is easy to operate as it comes with a hand crank. When not in use, you can easily fold away the umbrella with the help of the crank and store it wherever you wish. Overall, if you want a reliable umbrella that will protect you from UV rays on a sunny day that also allows air to freely pass through than the Cobana 10 ft. cantilever umbrella is perfect for your patio.SEE IN AMAZON
- 10-foot umbrella coverage
- Umbrella comes in 11 different colors
- 100% polyester material that is waterproof
- Doesn’t come with a base—have to purchase separately which adds to the price of a fairly low-cost umbrella
The Sundale Outdoor umbrella will be sure to add a little pizazz to your patio. The polyester material used in the umbrella protects you from sun rays and is waterproof so you can even sit under it in the rain. It provides up to 10 feet of shade so you can easily fit a conversational table or even a larger dining table under it. The umbrella will ensure that your patio is not just a boring unused patio.
The pole of the umbrella is aluminum with a nice antique bronze finish which adds some elegance to the style. The only bad thing about the umbrella is that it doesn’t come with a base. Considering the low cost of the umbrella, you can easily purchase a reliable stand base like the Sundale Outdoor Heavy-Duty Plastic Water Sand Cantilever Umbrella Base Stand. Overall, the Sundale Outdoor 10 Foot umbrella is a wonderful piece of patio furniture that will exceed your expectations of a patio umbrella.SEE ON AMAZON
- 24 LED solar lights
- 360-degree umbrella rotation
- 11-foot umbrella coverage
- The material of the umbrella is superb
This beauty by Destination Summer could have easily been the best cantilever umbrella on our list but, due to its high cost, we had to deduct points. Functionality wise, it offers a lot more than any other umbrella we have on the list. It provides coverage of up to 11 feet in diameter, which is a whole foot more than the two umbrellas above it and that extra foot actually makes a lot of difference. The other feature that has truly impressed us is the 360-degree rotation as well as the 24 LED solar lights the umbrella comes equipped with. The 360-degree rotation allows you to easily move furniture around and still be covered by the umbrella while the LED lights provide extra lighting under the umbrella come night time, allowing your patio to be used for dinner or a cocktail party during the warm summer evenings.
The fabric of the umbrella is also of better quality. It is pretty much resistant to fading caused by exposure to the elements so, even after years of use, the umbrella will look pretty much like new. Overall, if you have the budget, then we fully recommend you go with this umbrella—the classic design and the additional functionalities are well worth it.SEE ON AMAZON
- 10 feet of coverage
- Low cost
- 250 gsm polyester material used in the umbrella
- Base was not that strong
- Comes in just two colors: ivory and red
If you have a limited budget but want to spice up your patio, then the Abba Patio 10-foot umbrella is a fantastic choice. It provides coverage of up to 10 feet in diameter which is excellent. The umbrella is made of 250 gsm polyester fabric which is thick enough to protect you from the sun’s rays. The umbrella has an air-vented top so you won’t sweat while sitting under it. The umbrella should last for a few years and give you about 1,000 hours under the sun.
The umbrella does come with a crank lever but we did find that it stuck from time to time, when we opened and closed the umbrella. However, with a little extra force, we were able to get the job done. One thing that really put us off, though, was the fact that it comes with a cross base which doesn’t provide too much support. We don’t really see the base keeping the umbrella grounded in heavy rainstorms. Fortunately, we didn’t encounter any strong wind when we tested it out. Overall, for its current price, the Abba Patio 10-Foot Offset Umbrella is a good buy but, for a little more, you can get the Cobana which is a much better option.SEE ON AMAZON
- 11 feet of coverage
- Polyester material provides great UV coverage
- Expensive, not enough additional functionality to justify the cost
Like the Destination Summer Outdoor Patio Cantilever Umbrella, the Abba Patio 11-Foot Offset Cantilever Umbrella is one of the most expensive umbrellas available. However, unlike the Destination Summer Outdoor Patio Cantilever Umbrella, it doesn’t offer any additional functionality that would justify the additional cost. Yes, the Abba Patio 11-Foot umbrella is a great piece of furniture that provides up to 11 feet of coverage under the sun. During testing, however, we could not justify the high cost of this umbrella.
Abba Patio uses polyester material for the umbrella which provides exceptional protection under the sun. It claims to provide 98% protection from UV. It employs an aluminum pole which is quite durable. The base, however, is another issue. You need to attach weights to it in order to make sure the stand stays put. What’s more, the weights do not come with the umbrella, meaning you need to spend more money. The company recommends you use a paving stone that weighs about 120 lbs. Overall, the Abba Patio is a nice and durable umbrella but if you are looking to spend good money on an umbrella, then you are better off getting the Destination Summer Outdoor Patio Cantilever Umbrella.SEE ON AMAZON
- 10 feet of coverage
- Polyester material provides great UV protection
- Ventilation system
- Easy crank mechanism for opening and closing
- 4 different colors
- The umbrella weights are not included
Last, but not least, the Sundale 10ft cantilever umbrella rounds up our best cantilever umbrella review for 2018. This cantilever umbrella comes with a thick aluminum pole that is very sturdy for stronger winds. The umbrella even has a venting system that allows good airflow when you are under the umbrella. The polyester canopy on the umbrella offers UV blocking, water-repellent, and anti-fade capabilities. For those who may have issues with more traditional umbrella systems, this one offers a crank system for easy opening and closing and is suitable for even the elderly and children.SEE ON AMAZON
That ends our list of the 6 best cantilever umbrellas of 2018. We hope this helps you select the perfect cantilever umbrella for your patio!