Best Handheld Vacuum Cleaners of 2019
When you are out shopping for the best handheld vacuum cleaner, it important for you to do some research before making a purchase. This is because there are many vacuum cleaner brands in the market and some might not be as effective as they claim to be. The best way to find out about the performance of a particular brand that you are interested in buying would be to go through customer reviews. These reviews can be found on websites such as Amazon, eBay and many other sites. Knowing how important it is for you to pick the right handheld vacuum cleaner, in this article we are going to be reviewing some. These are some of the most widely used brands of vacuum cleaners on the market today. They can all be purchased on Amazon, where you can also check out more reviews. Before we begin on the reviews, we are first going to find out what a vacuum cleaner is and where it can be used. We have them in different sizes and with different types of waste bags. This is because the places where they are used also vary. You can use them for your personal cleanliness at home or in the office, and you can also use them for commercial purposes. When getting a vacuum cleaner, you need to be clear about where you are going to use it, or for what purposes you're buying it.
Comparison table on Handheld Vacuum Cleaners
|BLACK + DECKER CHV1410L 16V Cordless Lithium Hand Vac||Eureka EasyClean Corded Hand-Held Vacuum, 71B||Dyson V6 Trigger Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner||Dirt Devil Vacuum Cleaner Simpli-Stik Lightweight Bagless Corded Stick and Handheld Vacuum SD20000RED||Black+Decker BDH2000PL MAX Lithium Pivot Vacuum, 20-volt|
|Turbo/ Upholstery Brushes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
What is a handheld vacuum cleaner?
A handheld vacuum cleaner is an electric appliance that people use to clean. It cleans by sucking in dirt off surfaces, be it in your house or even your car. Most handheld vacuum cleaners are cordless, making them more flexible than the ones with chords. All that you need to do is to make sure that it is well charged before using it. Vacuum cleaners are effective cleaners and they are also healthy for use since they don’t stir up things like dust. There are many makes of vacuum cleaners and below we are going to look at some of the features that you need to take into account when shopping for one.
Turbo/ Upholstery Brushes
Some handheld vacuum cleaners come with turbo brushes. These are good for cleaning up things like pet fur quickly. The upholstery brushes, on the other hand, are good for cleaning fabrics such as curtains and seats. There are yet others that come with a flexi hose to ease the cleaning.
Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Battery Life
The handheld vacuum cleaners all come with varying battery life. There are some that will work for barely ten minutes before they die, while the best handheld vacuum cleaner can go for up to thirty minutes before throwing in the hat. This is a very important aspect that you should look at because you don’t want something that will die on you halfway through the job. You might also want to consider how long it takes to charge the vacuum. I'm pretty sure that there is nobody that would want to buy a vacuum that takes 24 hours charging before you can use it again. It is good to note that cordless handheld vacuum cleaners are best used for small jobs because they can't run for too long.
Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Weight
The handheld vacuum cleaners come in varying weights ranging from 700g to 1.5Kg. Weight is an important factor because I'm pretty sure that you wouldn’t want to be stuck with a weighty vacuum for hours. You should also ensure that the handheld vacuum cleaner is comfortable to hold when working with it.
Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Dust Capacity
The dust capacity of vacuum cleaners varies and it is important that you go for the one with the highest capacity. With a high capacity, handheld vacuum cleaner, you can go for longer spells of work before you have to empty it. The general capacities of the vacuum cleaners vary from around 0.5 liters for the handheld vacuum cleaners, to 5 liters for the conventional cleaners.
Those are just some of the important things that you should consider when you are buying a vacuum cleaner. There could be more depending on you as a person.
What are the benefits of a handheld vacuum cleaner?
They are small and this means that they are easy to carry around and even store in the house. They can work in small spaces such as RV’s and small apartments.
They are lightweight and this means that they are easy to carry around. They might vary in weight depending on the make, but they are generally light. This means that even the elderly people can use them without the risk of injuries that heavier ones could inflict on them. Kids can also use them as they help you clean the house.
They are easy to use. This is a win situation for the users because they are even easier to operate than some smartphones and tablets. Kids would not have a problem operating them at all.
They are easy to carry since all of the handheld vacuum cleaners come with handles. The quality and grip of the handles varies depending on the make, but they are all easy to carry. The cordless ones come with an added advantage because as you carry the vacuum around, you don’t have to worry about the cord knocking things over. I would personally recommend the cordless ones even though you would have to make sure that your vacuum has charge all the time before using it.
They are excellent for quick cleanups. Whether it is a spot on the rug that you would like to clean, or a spill on the floor, these handheld vacuum cleaners get the job done quickly without causing a mess.
They are portable. This means that they are not limited to one place. You could decide to go camping with one, and especially the cordless ones. You can also carry it to your car to clean up. You can carry them with you wherever you want to go.
They can clean things that the bigger vacuums can. They are light and portable unlike the older vacuums that were heavy. You can clean a spot on your wooden floor without spoiling it, while the heavy old vacuum just might leave some scratches because of being dragged around.
They are super easy to maintain. Most of the filters and other serviceable parts are easy to remove and replace.
What to use your handheld vacuum cleaner for?
Now that we know the features of a handheld vacuum cleaner, it is now time to find out what you can use it for. As mentioned earlier, the vacuum cleaners general use is cleaning through suction. Below are some of the things that a vacuum can clean:
- Vacuum bed sheets and quilts between washings to keep pet fur from building up
- Vacuum window sills to keep allergens out
- Clean your books
- Curtains, drapes and blinds
- Windows and window screens
- Vehicle interiors
There are countless things that you can clean with the handheld vacuum cleaner.
Why use a handheld vacuum cleaner over a vacuum cleaner?
- The best handheld vacuum cleaners are small as compared to the ordinary vacuum cleaners. This makes them easier to carry around.
- They are lightweight as compared to most of the other vacuum cleaners. This makes them easier to carry around. Unlike before when children and the elderly would have issues with vacuum cleaners, the handheld vacuum cleaner makes it feel like a walk in the park when carrying them.
- The handheld vacuum cleaner is great for quick cleanups unlike the ordinary vacuum cleaner. You simply take it with you to the spot that needs to be cleaned and you are done. The hustle of dragging the other vacuum cleaner to the small spot you would like to clean could put you off.
- The handheld vacuum cleaner is portable and you can go with it practically anywhere. The ordinary ones are heavy and corded making them less convenient when it comes to moving around with them.
- The best handheld vacuum cleaner can clean some things that an ordinary vacuum cleaner cannot. You wouldn’t risk putting the older vacuum cleaner onto your glass table to clean it since it just might break it due to the weight. With the handheld vacuum cleaner, all that you have to do is hover it over the spot to be cleaned.
- The handheld vacuum cleaner is cheaper than the ordinary vacuum cleaner, although the price varies depending on the brand.
BLACK + DECKER CHV1410L 16V Cordless Lithium Hand Vac
The sleek CHV1410L boasts lithium technology, strong suction and fade-free power. With a translucent bagless dirt bowl, the dirt is easy to see and empty. Ever ready, the hand vac can hold a charge for up to 18 months when off the charger, and is lightweight enough to tackle quick pick-ups around the home. Smart Charge Technology High Efficiency Lithium ion chargers help to protect your BLACK+DECKER hand vac by automatically shutting off when the battery is charged, allowing you to conveniently store your BLACK+DECKER hand vac on the charger while maintaining long run times, year after year.
About Black + Decker
Since 1910, Black + Decker has been setting the standard for innovation and design of power tools, accessories, outdoor yard care equipment, home cleaning products, automotive and lighting products, hardware and other home improvement products. The inventor of the first portable electric drill with pistol grip and trigger switch, Black + Decker has evolved from a small machine shop in Baltimore, Maryland to a global manufacturing and marketing powerhouse with a broad line of quality products used in and around the home and for commercial applications. When users need to get work done, they trust Black + Decker for the products that will do the job efficiently and reliably 16V MAX Lithium Ion Dust Buster 16V MAX Lithium Ion Dust buster This hand vac provides consumers with everything they need in a hand vac, plus long battery life, year after year. The CHV1410L features great power and suction for use on everything from carpet to ceramic tile to furniture and more.
Cyclonic Action Cyclonic Action
The cyclonic action spins dust and debris away from the filter keeping suction strong. It delivers powerful suction where users need it most. It comes with a crevice tool and a brush.
- Always ready - holds a charge for up to 18 months, Less bending with on-board extension
- Lithium ion for long battery life and outstanding performance
- Long life, lightweight and no memory effect
- Smart Charge Technology uses up to 50% less energy, Air Watts: 18.2 Watts, Voltage: 16V MAX
- Cyclonic action helps to keep the filter clean and power strong, Translucent bagless dirt bowl easy to see dirt and empty
- Rotating slim nozzle for a variety of applications, Removable, washable bowl and filters for thorough cleaning
- 2-Year Limited Warranty
- Higher energy density – this means that the LIB battery can hold more energy per volume. In this case the CHV1410L holds about twice the amount of energy as the CHV1410.
- Greater power density – this refers to bursts of power the battery is capable. It works well when combined with the higher energy density mentioned above.
- No memory effect – this is something you might have noticed with a Ni-Cd battery. These batteries work best when you fully discharge the battery and then recharge it. With a Dust buster, you’re almost never going to do this. You’ll use it for a few minutes then put it back on the mount to charge. This can sometimes product a memory effect, where the cadmium inside the battery forms crystals and the battery will hold less of a charge. A LIB battery does not experience a memory effect.
- Non-toxic – Ni-Cd batteries are toxic and classified as hazardous. LiB aren’t, so disposal is much better for the environment.
- The front end of the vacuum often pops off in use. I make sure the two latches on the sides are engaged, but when you press the nozzle into something, like carpet, to suck up dirt, sometimes the nozzle just pops off and then the dirt dumps out!
- The extendable nozzle is a joke. You pull it out and snap it in place and the moment it contacts something, it pushes right back in. Useless feature.
Eureka EasyClean Corded Hand-Held Vacuum, 71B
Handheld Corded Vacuum
Hand-held but very powerful, this Eureka model eliminates the hassle of lugging around a full-size vacuum for cleaning car upholstery, sofas, and carpeted stairs. A 20-foot long cord which can also be wrapped around for storage purposes, provides good reach, as does the deluxe hose that stretches to three times its length. With the crevice tool on the end of the hose, this vacuum reaches into all kinds of tight places. Its high-power suction is driven by two motors. One motor provides power to the revolving brush and the other for suction. The 5.5-amp power allows this vacuum to clean deeply.
Ideal for quick pick-ups or cleaning smaller spaces:
- Clean your cars, stairs as well as quick messes easily with this light weight hand vacuum by Eureka
- The Riser Visor nozzle flips to easily clean upholstery and stairs vertically or horizontally
- On or off, brush roll picks up dirt from bare floors and area rugs
- With its ability to provide a quick yet comprehensive clean, it has formally been named "Quick-Up"
The Riser Visor Nozzle Cover
One of Eureka's innovations is the Riser Visor, a clear plastic cover that stays down for cleaning horizontal surfaces and flips up so the revolving brush can reach the vertical carpet on stair risers. There's no bag to change, just a filter and clear plastic dust cup to shake out when necessary.
The Riser Visor nozzle features a rotating cover over the brush roll. When the cover is in the normal position, the brush roll action is toward the bottom side of the nozzle to clean flat areas such as stair steps or upholstery. Twist the cover downward to rotate the cover down exposing the front of the brush roll for cleaning vertical surfaces, e.g. stair risers, furniture backs.
The Eureka Hand-held vacuum even removes the deeply embedded dirt from anywhere in your home or car. It is Ideal for cleaning stairs and auto upholstery. This hand vacuum cleans with the help of a revolving brush roll with Riser Visor, a stretch hose and attachments for getting into hard to reach spaces. The onboard crevice tool gets into those places that are too small for the brush roll to reach.
Getting the Best Results
- Moving brush roll, power switch should be in suction only position when using hose.
- Do not use the cleaner without the dust cup filter properly installed. This can damage the cleaner.
- Some fine particles can restrict airflow very quickly and will decrease performance even before the dust container appears full. For that reason, when vacuuming carpet fresheners or cleaners, powder, plaster dust or similar fine substances, the dust cup and filter may need cleaning more often.
- Use the cleaner to pick up dirt and dust particles. Avoid picking up hard or sharp objects that could damage the vacuum cleaner.
Easy Cleaning Steps
- Pull the crevice tool out of the base of the cleaner.
- Place the crevice tool on the end of the hose.
- When cleaning is completed, store crevice tool back in the base of the cleaner and replace the hose in the hose adapter on the cleaner.
- Pull back on the power switch to the “open cup” position and lift dust cup away from cleaner.
- Remove dust cup filter and dump dust cup in a waste container.
- The filter can be cleaned by brushing off over a waste container.
- The dust cup can be rinsed under running water and should be completely dried before replacing on cleaner.
- It has a really strong & powerful suction
- Long cord (25 feet!)
- Super stretchy hose with conveniently located crevice tool attachment
- Brush roll on/off control
- Riser visor great for those awkward places
- Holds a good amount of dirt in its bagless bin
- Automatically shuts off if motor is too hot to avoid overheating
- Pretty dang big and a little heavy for a hand-held vacuum, but its great power & suction make it an even trade-off.
- It isn’t cordless, but most cordless vacuums die in a year or two, not a problem with this guy!
- Emptying is a bit messy, and you should use a bristle brush to clean off the filter as well as you can when emptying.
- The prongs in the plug seem too small, it will fall out of an outlet with the weakest pull.
Dyson V6 Trigger Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner
Powerful Suction that Doesn't Fade
Other handhelds lose suction as you clean, but Dyson V6 Trigger doesn’t. It provides two times the suction power of any other handheld.
Light and Ergonomically Designed
Dyson V6 Trigger is light to hold and fits into the shape of the hand. The center of gravity is located towards the grip, making it easy to handle.
- 2 tier radial cyclones.
- Ergonomically fits into the shape of the hand.
- Suction power: 100 AW.
- Run time: 20 Minutes.
- Charge time: 3.5 hours
- Color: -Nickel, red and purple.
- Material: -Plastic.
- Dimensions: Overall Height - Top to Bottom: -8.2". Overall Width - Side to Side: -5.7". Overall Depth - Front to Back: -15.6".
- Overall Product Weight: -3.4 lbs.
- Battery runs out fast
Dirt Devil Vacuum Cleaner Simpli-Stik Lightweight Bagless Corded Stick and Handheld Vacuum SD20000RED
The Dirt Devil Versa Power is a one-step solution for quick and convenient cleanups. This versatile unit functions as a stick vac, hand vac, and a utility vac all in one. The vacuum cleaner’s lightweight design makes it simple to transport from room to room, while its easy-empty dirt cup means no more bags to buy. An onboard crevice tool comes included, which allows for cleaning hard to reach areas like between couch cushions, along baseboards, or under furniture and appliances. Great for multi-purpose cleaning.
Designed for the way you live. This innovative stick vac is perfect for rugs and hard floors, and it features an easy lift off hand vac. Just detach the hand vac and you are ready for dust, dirt and crumbs on furniture, counters, shelves, upholstery and drapes. An on-board crevice tools allows you to reach tight spaces in corners, around furniture and along the edges of delicate electronics. A lightweight design lets you move the vacuum from room to room and up and down stairs. The smart, bagless design is easy to empty.
- 16-ft Cord
- Bagless Design
- On-Board Tools
- 1-Year Limited Warranty
- Innovative stick vacuum includes an easy off detachable hand vacuum
- Weighs less than 4 Pounds- lightweight construction for comfortable carrying
- Smooth-rolling wheels and convenient cord wrap for 16-foot cord
- 1.25 Amp Motor- cut through messes with constant suction power
- Includes an onboard crevice tool for hand vacuum to easily get into tight spaces
- Good for small places
- Great suction
- Good for light messes
- Some say the suction is bad
Black + Decker BDH2000PL MAX Lithium Pivot Vacuum, 20-volt
Lightweight Design with a Pivot Feature
For those looking for serious power, Black + Decker’s all-purpose 20V MAX* Lithium Pivot has strong suction provided by the 20V MAX* lithium ion battery, a lightweight design for easy carrying, and a standing charging base. The Pivot is not only powerful, but it’s also so compact that it can be stored within easy reach to any mess.
On board tools - Easy to Clean
The 20V MAX* Lithium Pivot comes with an onboard crevice tool and brush that are always at hand to tackle any mess, while a distinctive pivoting nose feature enables easy cleaning for all those hard to reach areas, such as under cupboards, above tall shelves, and in between couch cushions. Simply place the Pivot in its stand to charge. Finally, for a more thorough clean, simply remove the entire bowl from the unit and wash it in your sink. Filter flicker loosens embedded debris from filter to improve suction power. the bowl is easily removed and washable.
20V MAX* Lithium Pivot Vac
The always -ready and convenient 20V MAX* Lithium Pivot Vac is perfect for handy cleaning anywhere and anytime. The pivoting features allows you to get into those hard-to-reach spaces, and the high-performance motor delivers strong suction for messes big and small things.
Convenient Pivot Action
An exclusive pivoting nozzle means huge power in a compact size - lets you reach those hard to access areas. Its high-performance motor provides superior suction capability when compared to other Black + Decker cordless hand vacs. The cyclonic action spins dust and debris away from the filter keeping suction power strong.
Crevice Tool and Brush
This Pivot Vac offers a 3-stage filtration system with a pleated filter design offers superior filtration for clean air exhaust. The wide mouth design scoops up large debris and simply flip up the brush to clean upholstery or extend the crevice to access tight spaces. This unit also has a quick charging base that keeps the unit charged and accessories organized.
Lithium vs NiCad
Other types of batteries fade and lose suction, making it difficult for users to complete their cleaning task before running out of power. Instead, Lithium Ion batteries offer strong suction and fade-free power throughout their use. Users will now have the confidence that they can complete tasks quickly, efficiently, and conveniently with this new Flex Vac.
Easy to Clean
The translucent, bag less dirt bowl has 42 percent more capacity than the original Pivot Vac and offers a side door function for emptying dirt. For a more thorough clean, simply remove the entire bowl from the unit and wash it in your sink.
What's in the Box:
This unit includes: Vacuum, Washable filter (model PVF110), Pre-filter, On-board Brush, On-board Crevice Tool and Charging Base.
Black + Decker
With a heritage of more than 100 years as one of the most trusted brands in the world, the new Black + Decker identity builds on that trust by providing innovative and reliable products. Along with a meaningful, emotional, and empowering experience for the home, the new Black + Decker products will be Honest. Intuitive. Involved. Thoughtful.
- Lithium Technology for strong suction and fade free power
- Exclusive pivoting nozzle means huge power in a compact size
- A high-performance motor provides superior suction capability
- The cyclonic action spins dust and debris away from the filter keeping suction power strong
- 3-stage filtration system
- Light weight
- Good suction
- Easy to clean
- Wears out easily